10.29.2009

TV demands attention, doesn't express gratitude towards owner.

As much as I dislike the Yankees, I definitely cannot agree with Pedro Martinez’s statement that he’s the most influential player to ever play in Yankee Stadium. Sure, he’s a first ballot Hall of Famer and has had some memorable games there, but he’s not the most influential. Also, his approach of “you guys in New York have been so mean to me,” doesn’t play well when his bank account was getting direct deposit checks from the Mets for several years. He wasn’t complaining then, so I don’t want to hear it now. Oh, and as far as apologizing for the Zimmer toss, don’t bother. That statement was teeming with BS, “I thought he was coming to give me advice.” The last time a guy came charging at me, I wasn’t thinking advice. Besides, don’t say you feel bad six years after the fact. Don’t say that Zimmer said horrible things about your mother, either. If they were so offensive and horrendous, we probably would have heard about them immediately after the incident. Pedro could be pitching the last game of his career right now; I think he should be more worried about command and winning, not what happened six years ago. I wish Pedro the best in tonight’s game as well as in life after baseball, but I can’t say I’m going to miss his mouth. Still, it’s surprising the Yankees haven’t hit much so far tonight. More as the game develops.

It’s the third inning now, and I’m flipping back and forth between that and Bruins vs. Devils. Their also in the 3
rd, but tied at 1. The B’s have looked inspired at times tonight, and, as usual, Tim Thomas is playing well and keeping them in it. I don’t recognize anyone on the Devils, especially with Martin Brodeur not in net. Ah crap, got wrapped up in controlling the dog and came back to a 2-1 Devil win. Sadly, it turns out my favorite part of that broadcast was during intermission when the Devils brass spoke of their efforts to revamp the area around the Prudential Center (a wonderful, fantastic thing). The newest restaurant to open is Brick City Bar and Grill / Café. I got a good laugh when they mentioned the owner of the restaurant partnered with the NHL’s local team in a venture to make a great neighborhood for a sports arena which is already standing. This owner, and other owners of small businesses, will all be making deals with the Devils. If the management of the hockey team desires to have holiday parties at Brick City, there will be a lot of people dancing with the Devils in the pale moon light. As bad as those jokes are, a loss to the Devils on home ice to sink to a .500 record is equally as painful. The Bruins seem to be expecting things to come to them and are not being aggressive or physical enough.

I liked that in the top of the 5
th inning there were two representatives from the “text to get answer” service, KGB, sitting in the stands. The 40 something year old cougar and the rockin’ dude with the backwards hat were having a great time, as evidenced by the beer in that feline’s paw. KGB seems to be saying, “when you’re drunk at a bar and can’t remember the answers to things, text us; we’ll be drunk, too, but near a computer as well.” That’s a great way to advertise, guys. I knew you couldn’t be trusted; you’re no different than the Russian Secret Service.

Burnett is pitching well, and Matsui’s home run has turned Charlie Manuel in to Grady Little, wondering if he should take Pedro off of Yankee Stadium’s mound. It’s funny that the Yankees have scored on two solo home runs; that never happens at this Yankee Stadium.


I draw the line at 3-1 Yankees; I’ll look for highlights later because it’s not worth watching them a win a non-deciding game. I have a Scrabble game to settle with my phone, and then watch these new Trail Blazer fellas attempt to do what my dog does in the park; drop the Nuggets.

One last note about TV tonight, I saw the Spade/Farley ad again, and for the first time I listened to the end of the commercial. Spade’s last line is, “it never gets old.” Does he mean that joke, or Chris Farley? They’re ruthless; they may have well filmed the commercial ON Farley’s grave, and digitized him bumbling around and knocking over his own tombstone. It’s time to watch something on DVR, where commercials don’t exist.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment